As more women choose natural childbirth, as well as prenatal and post-partum care with a certified nurse-midwife (CNM), two basic questions arise. How can a midwife provide the guidance and support you need throughout your pregnancy and beyond,...
As more women choose natural childbirth, as well as prenatal and post-partum care with a certified nurse-midwife (CNM), two basic questions arise. How can a midwife provide the guidance and support you need throughout your pregnancy and beyond, and how do you go about choosing the best healthcare provider for your individual needs?
Services a Midwife May Provide
A certified nurse midwife is specially trained and qualified to provide you with:
- Comprehensive assessments
- Diagnoses of pregnancy-related conditions
- Treatment for common pregnancy problems (e.g., morning sickness, fatigue, backache, acid reflux)
- Family planning
- Preconception care
- Health promotion
- Disease prevention
- Personalized wellness counseling
Most importantly, a midwife is someone with whom you can build a close relationship, as they help you through your pregnancy and childbirth experience.
Choosing The Best Midwife Tips
So, how do you go about choosing the best midwife that is the best match for you? Here are several helpful tips:
- Look for a midwife who is part of a larger healthcare team. Although a certified midwife is an experts in managing a low-risk and uncomplicated pregnancy, it is reassuring to know they work directly with a larger team of obstetrician–gynecologists (OB-GYNs) and other specialists. That way, if you do experience any complications with your pregnancy or labor, your midwife can connect you with an experienced specialist. Also, if your midwife shares on-call duties with other colleagues, you don’t have to worry about their availability when your baby is ready to be delivered.
- Know the different types of midwives. There are various levels of midwife certification, representing various degrees of knowledge and training. Certified nurse midwives have the highest level of certification and are, therefore, your best choice.
- Consider your long-term health and well-being. Although you are likely to meet your midwife for the first time during pregnancy, you are just as likely to continue seeing them for months or – in the case of subsequent pregnancies – for years to come. Make sure you find a midwife who provides you with ongoing advice and support during your postpartum recovery, such as help with breastfeeding, and with whom you feel comfortable and have a good rapport.
- Check with your insurance company. Before scheduling your first appointment with a midwife, make sure their services are covered by your healthcare plan. Otherwise, you could end up with hefty medical bills that you must pay out of pocket.
Midwifery Services Near You in Decatur, Stonecrest, and Stone Mountain, Georgia
If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, Dekalb Women’s Specialists can provide expert care for you and your baby – including a comprehensive range of exceptional midwife services delivered by our team of certified nurse-midwives.
Our CNMs also provide a wide range of primary healthcare services for girls from adolescence onward. These professionals have considerable experience and expertise in general nursing, as well as midwifery, and hold degree-level qualifications and accreditation.
To learn more about the benefits of using a certified nurse-midwife before, during, and after your pregnancy, call Dekalb Women’s Specialists today at (404) 508-2000 or request a consultation now.
We have three convenient locations near Atlanta, Georgia – in Decatur, Stonecrest, and Stone Mountain – from which we can serve all your OB-GYN and women’s healthcare needs. We look forward to serving you soon!